If there is one thing people are afraid of when it comes to electronics that is water damage. Smartphones have this problem and so do regular cameras. Cameras can get unrepairable damage when in contact with water. The vast majority of them will not survive contact with water and will just have to be tossed away since warranty will not cover such type of damage.
The bad part about this is that there are not that many different waterproof cameras. There are literarily thousands of camera models but only a handful are actually designed to survive contact with water. Even fewer were made to take underwater shots. There are the professional models but not everyone can afford to buy one since they are extremely expensive. The good news is that most camera manufacturers do have a couple of models that are more consumer friendly.
Searching for 10 different underwater cameras has proven to be a bit difficult. We were able to select a few models and round them up in a simple list. For most part they are affordable and easy to use. The CMOS sensors used can vary a lot as there are even some 12 megapixel models. However all of them can deliver crisp clear photos. Here are the top 10 best underwater camera reviews.
Best Underwater Camera Reviews 2024
Polaroid IE090-BLU Waterproof Digital Camera
- Capture 18 MP photos
- The 2.8" Rear Screen makes it easy to shoot and review your photos and videos
- 1.8" Front Screen lets you preview your images and videos in a snap - perfect for selfies!
- Housed with a waterproof case to capture stunning photos and videos up to 10 ft. under water.
- 2x AAA Batteries (not included)
Polaroid IE090-BLU is a small yet solid waterproof digital camera. It comes with a decent price tag and a rugged construction that enables it to survive almost any type of damage.
The model uses an 18 megapixel CMOS sensor that can shot photos of up to 3 meters while under water. It has protection against dust, shocks and water. It can also record movies and offers several different editing features. The model has an SD memory card slot and a built-in rechargeable battery pack.
ujifilm FinePix XP90 Waterproof digital camera
- The FujiFilm FinePix XP90 Point and Shoot Digital Camera is Waterproof, Shock, Freeze, and Dustproof
- 16.4MP 1/2.3" CMOS Sensor | Fujinon 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- 3.0" 920k-Dot LCD Monitor| Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization| Action Camera Mode & Motion Panorama
- This 6AVE Bundle includes Fujifilm FinePix XP90 Digital Camera (Lime Green) (International Model) + Manufacturer Included Accessories, 1 Year CPS Worldwide Warranty (replaces the manufacturer warranty), 32GB SDHC CLASS 10 MEMORY Card, Memory Card Wallet, FUJI XP RUGGED FLOATING STRAP, Soft Carrying case, 5 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit, MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth
Fujifilm FinePix XP90 is a great model for the ones that need something reliable. Its price tag might seem like a turnoff but the features and the built quality are impressive. The model is available in four different colors and come with a compact form factor.
In terms of performance the camera uses a 16 megapixel sensor. It has a 5x optical zoom and supports interval shooting. The model can be connected to a Wi-Fi network and can be connected remotely from almost any device such as a laptop, tablet or smartphone.
PowerLead Gapo G050 Double Screens Waterproof Digital Camera
PowerLeap Gapo G050 is a simple little camera that comes with a very appealing price tag. The model is the only one that comes with a dual screen. It features an LCD screen on the back and a smaller one on the front.
For the camera, the manufacturers used a 24 megapixel sensor. It is capable of capturing crisp clear photos without having to temper with the settings too much. The model works only with MicroSD memory cards and it can be connected to any computer or tablet.
Olympus TG-4 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera
- 4X wide angle optical zoom with fast f2.0 high speed lens
- Waterproof to depths of 50 feet, freeze proof to 14 degrees fahrenheit, shockproof to 7 feet, crushproof to 220 pounds
- Raw capture, live composite, underwater modes with underwater hdr
- Wi Fi / GPS / e. compass
Olympus used to be extremely popular when it comes to digital cameras. These days, their activity shifted a bit but they still have some decent devices. Their TG-416 digital camera is an excellent product that comes with premium build and plenty of features.
The model offers a 4x wide-angle optical zoom and can survive dives of maximum 50 feet deep. It comes with a built-in GPS and compass. Similar to most other cameras it can be connected to Wi-Fi networks and uses SD cards for memory expansion.
Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera
- 12MP 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS sensor
- 28-140mm F3.9-4.8 equivalent lens with optical image stabilization (5x optical zoom)
- ISO 100-3200
- 3" fixed LCD with 461,000 dots
- 1080/24p HD video plus super slow motion video at 640x480 (H.264)
Canon PowerShot D30 is one of the more expensive models. It has a sturdy construction that allows it to survive 82 feet deep dives and can survive drops from up to 6.5 feet.
Inside the camera a 12 megapixel CMOS sensor can be found. It is capable of taking crisp clear shots with rich colors and excellent saturation. On the back the model comes equipped with a 3 inch digital display. It is worth mentioning that the camera also comes with a built-in GPS.
Nikon COOLPIX S33 Waterproof Digital Camera
- Waterproof up to 32 feet deep; shockproof up to 5 feet; freezeproof down to 14° F
- 3x wide-angle NIKKOR glass zoom lens
- 13.2-MP CMOS sensor
- Full HD 1080p videos with stereo sound
- Oversized buttons and easy menus
Nikon COOLPIX S33 is both affordable and well made. Even the performance of the camera is quite impressive despite having a rather modest 13 megapixel CMOS sensor and a 3x wide-angle optical zoom.
The model manages to keep things simple by having oversized buttons and simple menus. It capable of recording full HD videos with sound and can survive dives up to 33 feet deep. The rugged construction also makes it shock and dust resistant.
Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Waterproof Digital Camera
- Waterproof up to 100ft; freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit; shockproof for drops up to 7 feet
- 5x optical zoom NIKKOR ED wide-angle glass lens
- Capable of taking up to 5 shots per second
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC for easy transfer to your smartphone
- Built-in GPS, mapping, Electronic Compass and Points of Interest (POI)
Nikon COOLPIX AW130 is one of the more recent models released by the manufacturer. It comes with an upgraded 16 megapixel CMOS sensor and plenty of useful features that makes it an interesting purchase.
The model has a built-in GPS and supports connections to devices over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi networks. It makes it extremely easy to transfer files between devices and features a very simple menu. The model offers a 5x optical zoom and comes with a large LCD display on the back.
Bell+Howell Splash WP7 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera
Bell+Howell might not be a brand that many are familiar with but their products are quite decent. The Splash WP7 is an extremely affordable digital camera that comes with a rugged construction which makes it survive 10 feed dives. It might not sound like much but for the price it is difficult to find anything better.
In terms of performance the pictures are crisp clear. Its 12 megapixel sensor manages to get the job done quite well. Unlike other models the camera does not have a built-in battery pack. Instead it uses 2 AAA batteries.
Fujifilm FinePix XP80 Waterproof Digital Camera
- 4 Way Proof - Waterproof 50 ft / 15m, Freeze proof 14 Degree F / -10 DegreeC, Shockproof 5.8 ft / 1.75m and Dustproof.
- 16.2 megapixel backlit CMOS sensor delivershigh-quality images in low light.
- Continuous shooting mode is capable of capturing up to 10.0fps (maximumrecording of 10 images at full resolution).
- Full HD Movies with one-touch movie button.
- Connect to your smartphone or tablet for extra enjoyment for Remote Shooting and Wireless Image Transfer.
The Fujifilm FinePix XP80 is one of the more popular waterproof cameras. It was released recently and managed to gain popularity due to its price tag and excellent performance.
The model was made to survive 50 feet deep dives and temperatures below freezing point. It can also survive drops and comes with a dustproof design. Inside the camera a 16 megapixel sensor has been used that manages to deliver crisp clear photos without having to temper too much with the settings.
Panasonic DMC-TS25D Waterproof Digital Camera
- 8x Intelligent ZoomIf the 4x optical zoom is not long enough for your photographic journey, the Intelligent Zoom uses digital zoom technology with minimum deterioration of image quality. The 4x optical zoom virtually extends to an 8x zoom equivalent.
- Motion Picture ButtonVideo recording can be easily started with the press of the Motion Picture Button making it convenient for switching between photo and video shooting instantly.
- MP4 HD RecordingIf you want to edit your videos on a computer or upload them to a website, the DMC-TS25 can record HD motion images (1,280 x 720 pixels) in MP4 format.
- Capture Stills or HD Video In and Out of the Water
Panasonic DMC-TS25D is one of the most compact waterproof cameras in our list. It has an excellent construction that enables it to survive drops, deep dives and low temperatures.
Inside the camera the manufacturers placed a 16 megapixel CMOS sensor. It offers a 4x optical zoom and can record videos as well. The model has a built-in battery pack and works with all types of SD cards.
Waterproof cameras can be an excellent travel companion. They were made to survive harsh weather conditions and even drops. All this does mean that they are a bit more expensive than regular cameras.
For our list we selected 10 different Best Underwater Camera. There are some significant price tag differences between them and each and every model has its own advantages. Sadly there aren’t all that many different models besides the ones listed. On the other hand everyone should be able to find a suitable underwater camera in our list.