With the advent of digital cameras and software, anyone can make their footage look like a Hollywood movie. But there are a few water tricks to make any footage cinematic without spending hours in post-production.
In this article, we’ll be discussing 7 simple water tricks to make your footage more cinematic. All the tricks from details, including rain, wet ground, dark background, reflections, steam effects, wet people, and water sounds, will transform the look of your footage and make it truly stand out.
These tips are easy to follow and will help you add a touch of drama and style to your shots. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Some Water Tricks To Make Any Footage Cinematic
Footage of water is some of the most beautiful and mesmerizing footage out there. But it can be so much more with a few simple tricks. So, we will show you a few water tricks to make any footage cinematic.
Rain is the key element in the movie if you want the film to be more impressive and emotional. Using rain in your footage can make it look more dramatic and cinematic. There are a few different ways to do this.
The easiest way is to use a rain overlay. There are many online resources where you can find free rain overlays. You can also create your own overlay by filming water droplets falling in front of a light source.
Another way to add rain is to use video editing software with special effects. This method gives you more control over the rain, but it can be more time-consuming.
To create the illusion of rain, you will need to film your footage in slow motion. This will make the water droplets appear larger and fall more slowly. You can then add a rain sound effect to complete the effect.
Wet ground is an essential component in making any footage look more cinematic. It helps to create a realistic rain effect and makes the raindrops look more natural as they fall into the puddles or ponds. Additionally, wet ground can also be used to create small streams or rivers. This added element of realism can make any scene look more impressive and professional.
Just use any old container to pour the water into and or a garden hose to wet the ground. You don’t need to use a lot of water, just enough to make the ground look wet. If you’re using a garden hose, be sure to keep the water pressure low so that you don’t create too much of a mess.
The use of a dark background in some water tricks can make any footage look cinematic. By adding a sense of depth and movement to the scene, it can help to create an immersive experience for the viewer. Additionally, a dark background can be used to create a more dramatic effect and can help to highlight the action taking place in the water.
To make the most of a dark background, it is important to ensure that the water is well lit. This will help to create a contrast between the darkness of the background and the bright colors of the water. Additionally, it is important to use a slow shutter speed when filming, as this will help to create a smooth and flowing effect.
When choosing a dark background, it is important to consider if it is too dark. If it is, then the colors of the water may not be visible, and the footage may look flat. It is also important to ensure that there is enough light in the scene, as a dark background can make it difficult to see what is going on.
Capture Reflections On The Surface Of The Water For An Extra Layer Of Visual Interest
Adding reflections to your footage can add an extra layer of visual interest and make your shots look more cinematic. By capturing the reflections on the surface of the water, you can create stunning visuals that will elevate your video content. Here are a few tips for capturing reflections in water:
- Find a calm spot on the water to capture your reflections. Ripples and waves will distort the reflection, so it’s important to find a spot that is relatively still.
- Use long exposures to capture the reflections. This will help to smooth out the water and create a more mirror-like surface.
- Experiment with different angles to get the best results.
- Use some colorful light to really make the reflections pop. It depends on the scene to know which color of lights and what corners will be suitable.
- Add some movement into your shots to create dynamic reflections. This can be anything from moving the camera around to using a zipline or drone.
By following these tips, you can capture amazing reflections in the water that will take your footage to the next level.
Steam And Smoke Effects
Water tricks can be some of the most cinematic footage you can film, and adding in steam and smoke effects can really elevate the look of your video. This is because steam and smoke can be very eye-catching and help to create a sense of drama and excitement.
When it comes to adding steam and smoke effects to your water tricks footage, you need to make sure that the steam and smoke effects are not too overpowering. You don’t want your footage to look like it’s been taken inside a sauna! Instead, try to use them sparingly and only when they will really enhance the look of your footage.
So, how do you go about adding steam and smoke effects to your water tricks footage? Use a normal fog machine for the steam, and for the smoke, you can either use a smoke machine or create your own DIY smoke bomb.
When using a fog machine, make sure to set it up so that the fog is not too dense. You don’t want your footage to be completely obscured by fog!
Wet people are the backbone of any water footage. They are the ones who ensure that the water looks its best and performs the way it should. They make the rain more realistic, the waves more believable, and the waterfalls even more beautiful.
So, don’t hesitate to get wet or have your characters get wet. It will only make your film look better. And, if you need help finding wet people to be in your movie, there are plenty of companies out there that can provide you with the perfect candidates.
Record Water Sounds Such As Rain Falling, Stepping On Water, Etc.
When filming, it is important to have the right sound effects to make the footage more believable and immersive. One such sound is that of water flowing, whether it be a gentle rainfall or a rushing stream. The sound of water can add a sense of realism to any scene and can help to set the mood and atmosphere.
There are a few different ways to record water sounds. One option is recording the real sound when you make the video. This can be done by using a portable recorder, or by placing the microphone near the source of the sound. If you are recording rain, for example, you could position the microphone outside and close to where the rain is falling.
Another option is to create water sounds in post-production using sound effects libraries. This can be a good option if you are not able to record the sound you need or if you want to have more control over the sound. You can also combine recorded water sounds with synthetic ones to create a more realistic and believable effect.
When recording or creating water sounds, it is important to pay attention to the quality of the sound. The sound should be clean and free of any noise or distractions. It should also be at a good level so that it can be heard clearly but not overpowering.
Tips For Filming Underwater
Below, we’ll explore some tips for filming underwater that will give your videos that cinematic look.
Adding Colorful Filters
When filming underwater, one of the most problems is that the color is too, too blue or too green. This can be easily fixed with some color correction, but you can also add a filter to your camera to help correct the color before you even start filming. There are a few different types of filters that you can use depending on the type of camera you have and what look you’re going for.
Usually, people use a red filter to color-correct their underwater footage. You can find these filters in different intensities, so you can experiment with a few to see which one looks best with your particular camera and setup. If you want to go for a more natural look, you can also try using a magenta filter.
Whichever filter you choose, make sure to test it out before you head out to shoot. This way, you’ll know exactly how it will affect your footage and whether you need to make any other adjustments, like changing the white balance on your camera.
Using a Water Housing
If you want to take your underwater filmmaking to the next level, you should consider investing in a water housing. This is a special case that goes around your camera and seals it tight, so you can take it deep underwater without worry.
Water housings are not too pricey and worth it if you want to get really good results. They also give you the ability to use different types of lenses, so you can experiment with different looks. If you’re serious about making cinematic underwater videos, water housing is a must.
Using Enough Light Sources From Natural And Artificial Light
When filming underwater, it’s important to have enough light sources to create a cinematic look. You can use both natural and artificial light sources to achieve this effect. The following tips will help you use light to your advantage when filming underwater.
If you’re filming in open water, use the sun as your main light source. position yourself so that the sun is behind you and shining directly into the camera. This will create a bright, evenly lit scene that looks natural and beautiful.
If you’re filming in a pool or other enclosed body of water, you’ll need to use artificial light sources to get the same effect. You can use underwater lights, spotlights, or even lamps to light your scene. Just be sure to position the lights so that they’re shining into the camera and not directly at the subject.
You can also use light reflectors to bounce light into the camera. This is a great way to add brightness and depth to your shots. You can use anything from a piece of aluminum foil to a whiteboard to reflect light. Just be sure to experiment with different reflectors to see what works best for your shots.
There are just a few tips to help you make your underwater footage look cinematic. With a little practice, you’ll be able to get the perfect shot every time. Just remember to use plenty of light, experiment with different filters and lenses, and have fun!
How To Choose The Best Camera Or Camcorder For Water Footage
When it comes to capturing stunning footage of water, there’s no substitute for a quality camera camcorder. However, not all cameras and camcorders are created equal when it comes to shooting underwater. In order to get the best results, there are a few factors you’ll need to take into account.
The first thing to consider is the sensor size. A larger sensor will allow you to capture more light, resulting in better image quality. If you’re shooting in low-light conditions, a larger sensor will be a major advantage.
Another important factor to consider is the lens. You’ll need a lens that can focus close to the water’s surface in order to get clear, sharp footage. A good underwater lens will also have a wide field of view, so you can take in the entire scene.
Waterproof Camera Or Camcorder
Finally, you’ll need to choose a camera or a waterproof camcorder. There are a few different ways to achieve this, but the most reliable option is to choose a camera that’s designed specifically for shooting underwater. This will ensure that your camera is protected from the water and can withstand the pressure of being submerged.
- 【The 4K video 48MP & Autofocus feature makes shooting sharper.】- This underwater camera has an image resolution of up to 48MP pixels and 4K video resolution, capable of capturing high-quality photos and videos. The upgraded autofocus feature ensures that your photos and videos are always sharp and amazing, lightly press the shutter, the the focus frame in the screen turn from yellow to green, press the shutter again to take photo.
- 【Innovative Dual-screen selfie design & Fill Light】- The waterproof camera has Dual-screen design for easy selfie taking. The 1.7-inch HD display on the front can meet your self-portrait needs, and the 2.8-inch HD display on the back allows you to observe the subject more clearly during shooting. The fill light can provide you with more even light under low lighting conditions. 2s/5s/10s timing shooting function makes it more convenient for you to take photos of yourself or others.
- 【11FT underwater camera】- This waterproof camera has IP68 international waterproof standard and can be used up to 11FT underwater. Custom high standard waterproof accessories such as microphone can provide you with clear sound video recording in underwater environments. Perfect for water parks or other underwater project including snorkeling, swimming, surfing, beach trips and more. (Note: Please Make sure the battery door is locked before entering the water.)
- 【The upgraded multiple functions & 16x digital zoom】- This underwater digital camera supports 16 effects and 9 scene modes, you can take artistic photos in different scenes. The 16X digital zoom allows you to capture long and short shots while keeping the picture sharp. The Anti-shake allows you to keep the picture stable while shooting moving scenes, and the Slow Motion and Time Lapse allow you to try different creative shots.
- 【Easy to Carry & Dependable】- This waterproof camera is pocket-size design and cool, easy to carry. The drawstring bag is convenient for store cameras when you travel around. The wrist strap prevents the camera from dropping when used underwater. Make your travel and outdoor shooting more convenient and fun.If you need help during the use of the camera, our 24/7 after-sales service will help you in time.
- ※2021 Upgraded 2.7K Waterproof Camera: With MAX 2.7K 20fps video resolution and 48 MP image resolution, this underwater camera captures every moment in crisp detail and unparalleled clarity. The upgraded camera provides more resolution to capture more fantastic moments. With the flashlight, pictures will also turn out good in dark or with dim lights.
- ☪Lightweight and Easy to Use: The compact, lightweight and pocket size design make it easy to take this underwater camera for snorkeling to the beach, water parks or other underwater vacations. It also has a drawstring pouch and a hand loop string to easily carry it travel around and store it. All the functions on this waterproof camera are easy to operate, which make it a perfect camera for kids and the elders.
- ☂10FT Underwater Digital Camera: Submersible up to 10 Feet in depth waterproof without casing for one hour per time. It is highly recommended to hold this waterproof camera statically for several seconds so the pictures will turn out good. The battery compartment is well sealed for waterproof purpose. Carefully make sure that the battery door is well locked before staying underwater.
- ✪Selfie Dual Screens Design: This waterproof digital camera features a rear-facing, 2.7-inch LCD display and a front-facing 1.8-inch LCD display, with the built-in 2s, 5s, 10s self-timer, you can get yourself along with the whole gang in the same frame, and never miss a moment of action. Continuous shooting let you never miss any shot of your wonderful life. It also supports recording while charging, you don’t need to worry about battery power off during your journey.
- ❤Friendly Service: This camera supports micro SD card up to 128GB, please purchase it separately. The battery compartment is sealed tight to be waterproof, one hand presses cover lock, another hand(or use a tool) pushes out battery cover meanwhile to open battery door! Friendly after-sale service offered by Yisence Tech!
- 4K Ultra HD action camera. Professional 4K 30Fps & 2.7K 30Fps video with 20MP photos at up to 30 frames per second for incredible photos, which is 4 times the resolution of traditional HD cameras.
- Wireless wrist remote control sports camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in an all-new way. Controlling the camera, framing shots or recording video is convenient. (THE REMOTE IS NOT WATERPROOF)
- Longer battery life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. No more worry about the recording time for this Action camera.
- Built-in Wi-Fi & HDMI, edit & share your action in minutes. Just download App(AKASO GO) on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters.
- 98 Feet waterproof camera. AKASO EK7000 is designed to withstand extreme environments, together with durable waterproof case. With the accessories, transform it for indoor and outdoor activities.
- 【4K Video & 48MP Underwater Cameras】This underwater digital camera is fully equipped with new upgraded 4K video resolution and 48 megapixels of image resolution, capture and record the most exciting memorable moments with high-quality videos or images. Our digital Camera has 16X digital zoom full light function and autofocus functions for snorkeling and other under activities, half-press the shutter button to achieve focus, the focus frame in the screen will turn into green, then press shutter button fully down to shoot an amazing image.
- 【11FT Waterproof Camera】IP68 International Standard for waterproofing, use high-standard waterproof accessories, waterproof function design makes this underwater camera can dive 11 feet(3.5M) in the underwater world, great for snorkeling, water parks or other underwater vacations, including swimming, drifting, surfing, beach travel etc. If you want a cameras that can go underwater, it will become best choice for you. (NOTE: Please make sure that the battery door is well locked before going underwater.)
- 【Selfie Dual Screens Design】Our waterproof digital camera features two display screens, include: 1.7'' Front display screen and 2.8'' Rear display screen. It has front screen that allows you to see what pictures you are taking, with the built-in 2s, 5s, 10s self-timer. When you try to take underwater pictures, dual screens makes underwater photography simple, and this underwater cameras also has anti-shake function built in, which provides stable and smooth images.
- 【Pocket-Size Design & Portable】This underwater camera is lightweight and easy to use, pocket-size design make it easy to take anywhere, comes with a drawstring pouch and a hand loop string to travel around and store, so your waterproof camera doesn’t get lost at sea. In addition, underwater camera for snorkeling also small enough to keep in your purse or beach bag. Get to taking unique and great photos underwater or in the wet.
- 【After-Sales Service & You Will Get】Package content: 1 x underwater digital camera; 2 x 700mAh lithium battery; 1 x USB cable; 1 x user manual; 1 x wrist strap; 1 x camera pouch; 1 x charger. In addition, we extra provide a 1-year warranty (Under the condition of normal use), if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, and we will reply to you within 12 hours and solve your problem, please rest assured to purchase!
- 【16FT Underwater Camera】This kids waterproof digital camera has a waterproof design, you can dive 16.5 feet (5 meters) in the underwater world. Ideal for swimming, drifting, surfing, snorkeling, etc. The perfect gift for children, teens and beginners.
- 【1080P Digital Camera for Kids】YEEIN small digital camera with FHD 1080P resolution and 30.0 megapixels and 18x digital zoom to keep recording happy moments.
- 【Best Christmas Gift For Kids】Lightweight digital kids camera that comes with 1050 mAh rechargeable battery & 32GB SD card (Pre-installed in SD slot) for about 3 hours of use per full charge. It is the best choice for children to learn photography. Perfect holiday, Christmas, and Birthday gifts for children, teenagers, and beginners.
- 【Multifunctional Compact Camera】This is a cost-effective entry-level point and shoot camera. Built-in auto flash, continuous shooting, self-timer, anti-shake, face detection, panorama, smiley capture, white balance, etc. The compact camera is easy to carry, you can travel with it in your pocket, enjoy photography anytime, anywhere.
- 【1 Year Guarantee】Any problem or suggestion, please get in touch with us. Please Note: charge the camera before using it for the first time.
With these factors in mind, you’re ready to start shopping for the best camera camcorder for water footage.
Editing Tips For Your Footage To Make It Look Even More Cinematic
Along with using water tricks to make any footage cinematic, there are e few tips for editing your footage:
Use Shallow Depth Of Field
One of the most important aspects of making your footage look cinematic is to use a shallow depth of field. This means having a small area in focus, with the rest of the image blurred. This is typically achieved by using a large aperture (low f-stop number) on your camera.
Use Slow Motion
Another great way to make your footage look more cinematic is to use slow motion. This can be achieved by either shooting at a high frame rate and then slowing it down in post-production or using a dedicated slow-motion camera.
Add Some Film Grain
Adding film grain to your footage can also help make it look more cinematic. You can either add film grain in post-production or shoot with a camera that has it built-in.
There are just a few simple tips to make your footage look more cinematic. With these techniques, your footage will look amazing!
The Most Impressive Rain Scenes In Movies
Movies are often associated with rain scenes. They have a way of making any footage more cinematic and dramatic. In this article, we will be looking at some of the most impressive rain scenes in movies.
Unbreakable (2000) by M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable (2000) is a superhero thriller film about David Dunn (Bruce Willis), who survives a horrific train crash, and Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson), a comic book aficionado who suffers from a rare disease that makes his bones extremely fragile. The two men soon discover they have a unique connection.
Because Elijah told David that he had weakness was water, so David always wore a raincoat when it rained until the final scenes. In the film’s climax, when David had to rescue a woman and her children, he was pushed into a swimming pool on a rainy night. The result is one of the most visually impressive and emotionally powerful scenes in the film.
Shyamalan used a number of techniques to make the rain scenes look cinematic. He captured the raindrops falling on the pool surface and the sinking of David underwater, which added to the sense of foreboding and dread. He also used a dark background to make the rain look more menacing.
The use of slow motion and dark background creates a sense of unease and tension, which is perfect for a scene that is supposed to be suspenseful and thrilling. The rain scenes in Unbreakable are some of the most visually stunning and emotionally powerful scenes in the film, thanks to M. Night Shyamalan’s use of cinematography and visual effects.
It (2017) by Andrés Muschietti
The rain scene when his boat George (Jackson Robert Scott) flowed into the drainage, and he saw Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård) in that drainage was one of the scariest and most intense scenes in It (2017). The director Andrés Muschietti did an amazing job with that particular scene. The sound of rain and thunder, along with Pennywise’s wicked sly expression, made it a purely cinematic experience.
The camera work was top-notch; it panned and zoomed in at the right moments to amplify the effect of rain and wind. The use of color was perfect, and the dreary skies added to the feeling of horror.
The scene was so well done that it has been hailed as one of the most impressive and scary scenes in a horror movie in recent years. It is a perfect example of how to use water to create a tense and atmospheric scene.
Mommy (2014) by Xavier Dolan
The scene when Steve (Antoine Olivier Pilon) yelled in the rain is one of the most memorable and beautiful scenes in Xavier Dolan’s film Mommy. In this scene, Steve has an outburst in the rain, the rain is pouring down, and the character is soaked.
The scene is shot in slow motion, and the camera pans around him. Rainwater mixed with Steve’s tears makes the pain and anger in the character’s heart manifest. Although not using a dark background, this entire rain scene uses beige and light brown tones to touch the emotions of moviegoers.
Filmmakers have been using water tricks to make any footage cinematic for years. In this article, we shared seven of our favorite water tricks that will add a touch of magic to your next video project. From adding mist and fog to creating rain and snow, these tips will help you create an unforgettable viewing experience for your audience. Did any of these tips inspire you to try something new in your next video? Let us know in the comments below!