Audio recording is a critical part of any video production, but quality audio equipment can be expensive. Even if you have the best camera in the world, if your audio is poor it will ruin your entire video. With our easy-to-follow guide, you can build your own $10 DIY boom pole better than the real thing.
This boom pole is much cheaper than purchasing a professional one because it’s made from things you already have in your house, like a broom pole or a paint pole. This has all the features of a professional boom pole, like mounting a microphone and allowing you to get much closer to your subject.
You can easily make this boom pole at home with just a few supplies, and it only takes a few minutes to assemble. So if you’re looking for a cheap and easy way to get great audio for your videos, make a $10 DIY boom pole better than the real thing!
What Is A Boom Pole, And What Is The Best Distance To Ensure High-Quality Audio Recordings?
A boom pole is an essential piece of audio equipment when filming. It is a long, thin pole used to hold the microphone away from the camera and the actor’s mouth, which helps reduce noise and interference. The best distance to hold the boom pole is at least 18 inches away from the actor’s mouth. This will allow for clear audio recording without picking up any unwanted background noise.
Boom poles are necessary in order to get high-quality audio recordings when filming. If the microphone is too close to the actor’s mouth, it will pick up all of the breathed sounds and other small noises that can ruin the audio quality. By holding the boom pole at the optimal distance, you can avoid these problems and get clear, professional-sounding audio recordings.
So why is it important to record high-quality audio when filming? There are a few reasons.
The first reason is that audio can help to convey the tone and mood of a scene much more effectively than visuals alone. For example, suppose there is a tense conversation taking place in a scene. In that case, the audio recording will be able to capture the tension in the air and convey it to the viewer much more effectively than if they were just watching the scene without any sound.
The second reason is that audio can be used to fix problems with the visual footage. For example, if there is a lot of ambient noise in a scene, such as wind or traffic, the audio can be used to cover up these noises and make the footage more pleasant to listen to.
The third reason is that audio can be used to add additional information to a scene that would not be conveyed through visuals alone. For example, suppose someone is talking on the phone in a scene. In that case, the audio of their conversation can be recorded and played back alongside the footage, which can give the viewer a better understanding of what is going on in the scene.
All of these reasons underscore the importance of recording high-quality audio when filming.
Instructions On Making A $10 DIY Boom Pole Better Than The Real Thing
Making your own boom pole is a great way to save money and can be just as good as the real thing. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a $10 DIY boom pole better than the real thing.
What You Need
- A broom pole or a paint pole
- A microphone shock mount holder
- A microphone with all necessary things like wire, etc.
- Screws, screwdrivers
- Step 1: Remove all unnecessary stuff, labels, and stickers from the broom pole or paint pole.
- Step 2: Now, take the microphone and place it in the holder. Make sure that the holder is tight enough so that the microphone doesn’t move around.
- Step 3: Place the holder with the microphone attached to it onto the broom pole or paint pole. Center it so that it balances out.
- Step 4: Use screws to attach the holder to the pole. Make sure that it is tight and secure.
- Step 5: Now, you have a DIY boom pole that is better than the real thing! You can use it for interviews, vlogging, or anything else you need it for. Enjoy!
Tips And Tricks
- If you want to get really creative, you can paint your boom pole. This will make it stand out and look even better than the real thing.
- You can also add other accessories to your boom poles, such as a windscreen or a shock mount. These will help to improve the quality of your recordings.
- Make sure that the screws are tight so that the holder doesn’t come loose.
- If you want to save even more money, you can use a PVC pipe instead of a broom pole or paint pole.
With this DIY boom pole, you’ll be able to save money and get great recordings. So what are you waiting for? Start building your own today!
How To Remove Noise When Recording
Noise can often be a hindrance when recording audio for video. In some cases, it can be difficult to remove the noise without also removing the desired audio. There are a few techniques that can be used to remove or reduce noise when recording through a boom pole.
Use A Furry Windshield
One way to reduce noise is to use a furry windshield. Windshields can help to eliminate wind and other environmental noise away from the microphone. There are a variety of windshields available on the market, so it is important to choose one that is compatible with the microphone being used.
Use A Shock Mount
Another way to reduce noise is to use a shock mount. Shock mounts will have the ability to isolate the microphone from any vibrations that may be present. This can be especially helpful when recording in environments where there is a lot of movement, such as on a windy day or during an action scene.
Use A Foam Cover
A foam cover can also be used to reduce noise. Foam covers fit over the top of the microphone and help to absorb any unwanted sound waves. This is a less expensive option than a windscreen or shock mount, but it may not be as effective.
- Fabric: Foam mattress topper cover top with premium cooling bamboo jacquard air fabric, bring you a skin-friendly and breathable great feeling. 3D mesh fabric backing ventilated hole design keep the topper stay in place effectively throughout the night. Our unique design is both beautiful and elegant to bring you the very best sleep. (cover only, not include foam mattress topper.)
- Removable and Washable Cover: Cover for Latex mattress topper twin size comes with a skin-friendly premium bamboo jacquard on the top, which is easy to take off and machine washable, no need special treatment, save your time on cleaning it. The non-slip mesh cloth cover bottom and four elastic straps keep the topper securely fit the mattress, say goodbye to adjust topper frequently. Also, it could refresh your old mattress topper to a brand new one at less cost.
- YKK Zippers and Straps: Twin latex mattress topper cover with smooth ykk zipper fastening. Zip closure ensures your mattress topper with full coverage. Four elastic straps keep the topper stay in place and provide a better sleeping experience for you.
- Various Size Mattress Topper Cover: To meet the difference needs, we provide different sizes cover of memory foam mattress with ykk zipper for various foam mattress topper: Twin (39” X 75”), Full (54” X 75”), Queen(60” X 80”), King(76” X 80”), thickness height can cover 3'' - 4''.
- Moonsea Guarantee: Our memory foam mattress topper cover with zipper certified by OEKO-TEX can be easy care. The cover for mattress topper quality you can trust so you can buy at easy. And if you have any questions, please contact us and we can replace for you or money back without excuses.
- SIZE GUIDE: 1 PC included. Fit a cushion with 59-75" in length, 20-27.5"in width, 2-9" in height. With great elasticity, fits for more than 90% cushion. Wider size application due to the elasticity and the stretchy band we have on the bottom.
- UNIQUE FUNCTION: Different from other materials, the fabric we used will not absorb water for about 3 seconds. You can use the time gap to wipe, which saved your time on washing and exchanging.
- FINE MATERIAL: 85% polyester and 15% spandex. Soft, breathable, and durable, meanwhile remains the high stretch-ability. The jacquard fabric is crease resistant, so the cushion cover will stay in shape no matter how you sit or wash it.
- CUSHION COVERAGE: With the elastic band all around the edge, the cushion cover will always in place. There is no need to adjust after somebody sit on the cushion. Avoid your furniture from daily wear, scratch, and other accidental.
- MATCH IT ALL: The cushion cover not only covers the damage of your old furniture but also give your home a brand new look. Twenty-two colors for you to choose to match your home decoration. Holiday color offered helps related to the festivals.
- WHY A COVER?: Keeps your topper covered to extend its life and maintain its quality
- 3 PROFILES: Choose from three popular profile options to cover all your toppers: 2, 3, and 4 inches
- SOFT AND COZY: Polyester-blend fabric cover is soft, quiet, and cozy—and stain-resistant
- EASY TO PUT ON: Cover features a zipper enclosure that makes it easy to put on and take off
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Our easy-to-clean topper cover is machine washable and dryer safe
- 3/4 inch - Prevent heat loss or gain to save energy
- Use on hot or cold pipes, stop condensation on cold pipes
- Black Finish
- Easy to install with pre-cut slits that you can run your finger down to open
- General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding.
- ULTRA PERFORMANCE – Optimized for perfectly temperature-regulated sleep, this mattress features gel-infused memory foam and an upgraded Cool-to-Touch Soft-Knit cover to keep you cool and comfortable with three times the cooling benefits.MORE COOLING POWER - A top layer of ultra-cooling gel memory foam paired with our patented 7-zone ventilation system for extra airflow and a stretchable, soft-knit fabric cover with a cool to the touch feeling improves ventilation and offers more air-flow
- REFRESHING SLEEP – We infused premium green tea into every layer for improved freshness from the first night to the hundredth
- MADE IN USA OF US FOAM AND GLOBAL MATERIAL – Straight out of our first ever, state-of-the-art, North American production facility in Georgia
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED – Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
Be Shielded From Outside Noise Sources
Another way to reduce noise is to choose a location that is shielded from outside noise sources. This can be done by filming in an interior room or by using sound blankets to block out noise. However, this may not always be possible, so it is important to be aware of the potential for outside noise interference.
Not Picking Up Any Unwanted Sounds From The Camera Or Other Equipment
It is also important to make sure that the microphone is not picking up any unwanted sounds from the camera or other equipment. This can be done by using a wireless system or by placing the microphone as far away from the camera as possible.
Use Noise Reduction Software
In some cases, it may be necessary to use noise reduction software to remove unwanted noise from the audio track. There are a number of different software programs that can be used for this purpose. Some of the most popular options include Adobe Audition and iZotope RX.
There you have it! These are just a few ways to remove noise when recording through a boom pole. By using one or more of these techniques, you can ensure that your audio is clean and free of unwanted noise.
How To Choose The Best Microphone For Film Recording
When it comes to choosing the best microphone for film recording, there are a few factors to consider. Here are some tips on how to find the right one for your needs.
Consider The Type Of Project You’re Working On
Are you shooting a feature film, a short film, or a commercial? The type of project you’re working on will dictate the type of microphone you need. For example, if you’re shooting a feature film, you’ll need a shotgun microphone that can pick up sound from a distance.
Consider The Budget You Have For Microphones
Microphones can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It’s important to consider the budget you have for this purchase. If you’re working on a big-budget film, you’ll be able to spend more on microphones than if you’re working on a low-budget project.
Rent Or Buy?
If you’re working on a project with a tight budget, you may want to consider renting a microphone instead of buying one. This way, you can try out different types of microphones to see which one works best for your needs without having to make a large investment.
Consider The Size And Weight Of The Microphone
If you’re shooting a film on location, you’ll want to consider the size and weight of the microphone. You don’t want to be weighed down by a heavy microphone, so it’s important to find one that’s lightweight and easy to carry.
- Before purchasing, please ensure that the wireless frequency band you select works in your area.
- Includes BLX88 dual wireless receiver, 2 BLX2/PG58 handheld transmitters with integrated PG58 cardioid dynamic microphone capsules, 2 microphone clips, power supply and user guide
- The PG58 has a dynamic cartridge with a simple, rugged coil, which handles extreme volume levels without distortion. The cardioid polar pattern picks up the most sound from in front of the microphone and some sound from the sides (so it's less susceptible to feedback in high volume settings). An integral "pop" filter reduces explosive breath sounds and wind noise. Tailored frequency response is smooth and extended. Tuned specifically for vocal applications.
- 300 feet (91 m) operating range (line of sight)
- Quick & easy frequency matching
- NOTE: This device is optimized for Webex Meetings
- DEPLOYMENT: Choose from conference table or ceiling installation options
- MUTE BUTTON: A large, centrally-located mute button offers easy access to silence audio access to the conference room
- 3.5MM JACK: Compatible with Cisco Room Kit, Room Kit Plus, Room Kit Pro, Room 55, Room 55 Dual, Room 70, Room 70 G2, SX10, SX20, SX80, MX700, and MX800
- PEACE OF MIND: 90-day limited liability warranty
- High vocal quality and JBL Original Pro Sound: The crystal clear clarity from the JBL wireless mics means no jamming, delay or distortion. Your voice will sound on point, with the backing of incredible JBL Original Pro Sound.
- Rechargeable UHF dual channel wireless receiver: There’s no need to fly solo, unless you want to take center stage of course. Connect two wireless microphones together and hear both voices blended perfectly through the speaker for up to 6 hours of playtime.
- Plug and Play: When you want to be heard, you want to be heard now. The JBL wireless mics have a super simple setup. Just turn on the receiver and wireless microphone and you’re good to go instantly.
- Microphones come with replaceable AA batteries: JBL wireless mics come with easy replaceable AA batteries, so get your groove on all night long.
- Best performance with JBL PartyBox speakers: Use JBL wireless mics on a speaker with a mic input, but for the best experience, add-on to any of the JBL PartyBox speakers.
- VOICE ISOLATION TECHNOLOGY - The MV7X features the same impressive combination of dynamic cartridge, cardioid pick-up pattern and shock mount as the MV7. Have confidence that your MV7X will bring your voice to the forefront of the recording and reject any unwanted background noise for perfect recordings in imperfect rooms.
- TRUSTED HERITAGE, CLASSIC DESIGN - Designed with podcasters in mind and modeled from the legendary SM7B for integration into any podcasting set up and workflow.
- XLR OUTPUT - Connect to all professional interfaces with ease via XLR without the need to add an in-line pre-amp for additional gain.
- MIC STAND COMPATIBLE - MV7X contains 5/8” threaded yoke to attach to any 5/8” threaded mic stand. Also included in the box is 5/8” to 3/8” Euro thread adapter for compatibility with most mic stands.
- PODCASTING & VOCAL RECORDING - Designed with podcasters and vocalists in mind, using the same form factor of the SM7B. Connect directly to any audio interface via XLR and record with the high-quality audio.
Try Out Different Types Of Microphones
There are a variety of different types of microphones available on the market. It’s important to try out different types to see which one gives you the best results. Some things to consider when choosing a microphone include frequency response, sensitivity, and directionality.
Ask For Recommendations
If you’re having trouble finding the right microphone for your needs, ask for recommendations from other filmmakers or audio experts. They may have suggestions on which type of microphone would work best for your project.
Do Your Research
Once you have an idea of the type of microphone you need, it’s important to do your research and read reviews. This way, you can get an idea of which microphones are the best on the market and which ones to avoid.
Following these tips should help you find the best microphone for your film recording project. It’s important to take your time and consider all of your options before making a decision.
How To Effectively Use Sound Effects And Voiceover
Adding sound effects and voiceover to your video can improve the overall quality and impact of your content. Here are some tips on how to use them effectively:
Tip 1: Use Sound Effects Sparingly
Using sound effects sparingly is important in order to maintain the impact of your video. Too many sound effects can be overwhelming and distracting, while not enough can leave your video feeling unfinished or unpolished. Striking a balance is key.
Tip 2: Use High-Quality Sound Effects
When you’re using sound effects and voiceover in your video, it’s important to use high-quality audio. This will ensure that your video sounds professional and polished. Here are a few tips for using high-quality audio in your videos:
- Use a good microphone: A quality microphone will make sure that your audio is clear and free of background noise.
- Use professional-grade sound effects: Cheap or free sound effects can make your video sound amateurish. Invest in high-quality sound effects that will add polish to your video.
- Hire a professional voiceover artist: A great voiceover can really bring your video to life. Choose someone with a voice that suits your video’s tone and style.
- Record in a quiet environment: Background noise can ruin good audio. Make sure you record in a quiet room or use noise-canceling headphones to minimize background noise.
- Use editing software to clean up your audio: If your audio is less than perfect, you can use editing software to remove background noise, boost the volume, and improve the quality of your audio.
By following these tips, you can be sure that your video will sound great and have professional-quality audio.
Tip 3: Make Sure The Sound Effects And Voiceover Fit The Tone Of Your Video
It’s important to make sure that the sound effects and voiceover you use in your video fit the tone of the video. If you’re making a comedic video, for example, you wouldn’t want to use serious-sounding sound effects or a monotone voiceover. Conversely, if you’re making a serious video, you don’t want to use comical sound effects or a voiceover that cracks jokes. The sound effects and voiceover should enhance the tone of the video, not detract from it.
There are just a few general tips to keep in mind when adding sound effects and voiceover to your video. By following these tips, you can be sure that your video sounds professional and impactful.
Q: What is the difference between a DIY boom pole and the real thing?
A: A DIY boom pole is a great option for those on a tight budget or those who don’t require the features of a more expensive boom pole. A DIY boom pole is typically made from a broom pole or paint pole with a lightweight metal like aluminum or carbon fiber, and it can be adjusted to different lengths to fit the user’s height.
However, because it is not as durable as a professional boom pole, it is more likely to break or bend if it is not used properly. Also, when you use a broom pole, it is impossible to expand the length of the boom, so you will be limited to the length that you make it. Additionally, a DIY boom pole does not have the same features as a professional boom pole, such as XLR inputs or shock-absorbing materials.
Q: How do I make sure my DIY boom pole is durable?
A: There are a few things you can do to ensure that your DIY boom pole is durable:
- Use sturdy materials: Avoid using flimsy materials that are prone to breaking; instead, opt for materials that are strong and sturdy.
- Reinforce key points: Reinforce the areas of the boom pole that are most likely to experience stress or strain, such as the joints.
- Use quality hardware: Choose high-quality screws, nails, and other hardware to ensure that your boom pole is durable and long-lasting.
- Finish with a sealant: After you’ve assembled your boom pole, finish it off with a clear sealant to protect it from the elements further.
Q: What are some of the benefits of using a professional boom pole?
A: There are several benefits to using a professional boom pole:
- Durability: Professional boom poles are built to last and withstand more wear and tear than DIY boom poles.
- Quality construction: Professional boom poles are typically made from higher-quality materials, which results in a better overall product.
- More features: Professional boom poles often have additional features that DIY boom poles don’t, such as XLR inputs and shock-absorbing materials.
- Better sound quality: Professional boom poles are designed specifically for audio recording, so they often produce better sound quality than DIY boom poles.
- Easy to use: Professional boom poles are typically easier to use than DIY boom poles, which can be difficult to assemble and operate.
Q: What are some tips for using a boom pole?
When using a boom pole, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the boom pole is properly balanced. This can be done by adjusting the length of the pole and by moving the counterweight up or down.
- Always use a sandbag or other weight to keep the boom pole stable.
- Be aware of your surroundings and be careful not to hit anyone or anything with the boom pole.
- Practice moving the boom pole around before using it on a shoot. This will help you get a feel for how it moves and how to best maneuver it.
- When setting up the boom pole, make sure that the microphone is properly secured and that the cable is not tangled.
There are just a few tips to keep in mind when using a boom pole. By following these tips, you can be sure that you’ll get the most out of your boom pole and that it will help you capture great audio on your next shoot.
Q: How long should a boom pole be?
The 10’ film frame is the most popular choice, with its wide range of focal lengths and practicality. The 2’9″ compact design makes it easy to store or transport between shoots – perfect for any photographer on their feet! This mic has an adjustable boom stand that can be extended up 40 mm (1.57″) at either end; this ensures maximum stability when using your microphone in high-activity environments such as concerts where there may not always be time taken simply pause during recording sessions.
This is a great guide if you’re looking to save money and make your own boom pole. With just a broom pole or a paint pole, it can be fun and easy to do, and the end result is just as good – if not better – than a commercial boom pole. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll have your very own $10 DIY Boom Pole Better Than The Real Thing in no time!
This is a great way to get started in the world of filmmaking without breaking the bank. Just remember always to be safe when handling any type of equipment.
We hope you found this guide helpful. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Happy filming!