If you’re looking for the best microphones for recording vocals, you’ll want to check out the DPA microphones. DPA Microphones, based in Denmark, has been producing high-quality mics since 1992 and continues to innovate in the industry.
DPA microphones are used in studios all over the world, and for good reason – they produce incredible sound quality. Whether you’re a professional or amateur, we have a microphone that will fit your needs.
Here are our top picks for DPA microphones specifically for recording vocals.
DPA Microphones Comparison 2023
- Best for capturing sound from one direction: DPA KIT-4099-DC-10C-C
- Runner-up: DPA D:dicate 4017C
- Best for rejecting unwanted background noise: DPA Gooseneck Microphone - 48 inch
- Best for flexible and adjustable: DPA Gooseneck Microphone - 8 inch
- Best for durable design: DPA Microphones D:dicate 4017B
- Single-Ear Headset Mount f DPA d:fine Headset Microphones - Beige
- Small-diaphragm Supercardioid Condenser Microphone with Clip Cable - Violin
- Pre-polarized Sub-miniature Cardioid Earset Condenser Microphone with 100mm Boom MicroDot Connect - Beige
- Pre-polarized Omnidirectional Sub-miniature Condenser Microphone with TA4F Connector - Black
- Miniature Cardioid Headset Mic
- Beige - MicroDot Connect
- Small-diaphragm Supercardioid Condenser Microphone with Clip Cable - Cello
- d:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone with Universal Mount (Loud SPL)
- Pre-polarized Sub-miniature Omnidirectional Lavalier Condenser Microphone with MicroDot Connect - Long Length
- Nmal SPL
- Small-diaphragm Supercardioid Condenser Microphone with Clip Cable - Acoustic Guitar
- Natural and precise sound reproduction of the entire kit
- A clean slate to convey the wanted “mood” to the audience
- Picks up the sound like the drummer hears his kit, thus no or minimum EQ is needed
- Microphones: 1 x 2012 Cardioid Microphone, 2 x 2015 Wide Cardioid Microphone (Stereo Pair), 1 x 4055 Kick Drum Microphone, 3 x 4099 Core Instrument Microphone, Extreme SPL
- Accessories: 3 x MicroDot Cable (CM2218B00), 3 x Drum Microphone Clip (DC4099), 3 x Adapter for MicroDot to 3-pin XLR (DAD6001)
- D:fine CORE 4288 Directional Flex Earset Microphone with MicroDot Connector (120mm
- DPA MicroDot to Sennheiser 1/8" Adapter f Sennheiser Evolution/G2/G3/G4 EWD-D
- Audio Ltd. En2 TX
- Line 6 X2
- The adapter is designed for connecting Microdot Adapter to 3.5mm Locking Plug
- Power supplies featuring 1/8 Inch (3.5mm) Plug With Screw
- The adapter intended For DPA Microphone MicroDot Adapter to 3.5mm Mini-Jack with thread
- This Adapter is suit for DPA’s series of Miniature Microphones, such as the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063, 4065, 4066, 4067, 4071,4088, 4099
- Compatible With Sennheiser Evolution Pocket Transmitter series G1, G2, G3 & freeport, EW100, EW300, EW500, SK1093
- The second-generation products have come, The adapter is designed for connecting DPA microphones to transmitters and power supplies featuring TA4-male connections.
- MicroDot to TA4F Switchcraft:Adapter for use with DPA's series of Miniature Microphones such as the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063, 4065, 4066, 4067, 4071, 4088, 4099
- The Compatible Transmitters:Line 6 XD-V70L,TOA WM4300 Series
- The Compatible Transmitters: Shure PGX1/SC1/SLX1/ U1/ULX1/UR1/UR1M/UT1 Series
- d:screet CORE 4080 Cardioid Microphone with TA4F Connect (Nmal SPL
- 1.6m Cable f d:fine Headset Microphones with Microdot Connect - Beige
- Small-diaphragm Supercardioid Condenser Microphones (x2) with Holders Cables - Piano
- Omnidirectional Earset Microphone with MicroDot Connect - Medium Length
DPA Microphones Reviews 2023
Best For Capturing Sound From One Direction – DPA KIT-4099-DC-10C-C
DPA KIT-4099-DC-10C-C is a kit of 10 microphones, each with its clip and windscreen. This kit is perfect for recording large groups or capturing sound in various environments.
The included clips allow for easy attachment to instruments or clothing, while the windscreens help reduce noise interference from wind and breath. Each microphone has a unidirectional pickup pattern, capturing sound from one direction while reducing background noise.
These microphones are also incredibly durable and able to withstand extreme temperatures and harsh outdoor conditions. Additionally, the kit comes with a carrying case for easy storage and transportation.
Whether recording a concert, live event, or podcast, the DPA KIT-4099-DC-10C-C provides reliable and high-quality audio capture.
- 10 microphones included
- Clip and windscreen for each microphone
- Unidirectional pickup pattern
- Comes with a carrying case
- May be too many microphones for some situations (can always use less from the kit)
- Some users may prefer a different pickup pattern
Runner-Up – DPA D:dicate 4017C
- Shotgun Microphone, MMP-C Preamplifier, with Rycote Windshield
The DPA d:dicate 4017C is a shotgun microphone that comes with an MMP-C preamplifier and a Rycote windshield. This microphone is designed for use in ENG, EFP, and studio applications.
One of the standout features of the DPA d:dicate 4017C is its sound quality. This microphone delivers incredibly clear and accurate sound, making it perfect for capturing audio recordings of high quality. Additionally, the shotgun design of this microphone makes it ideal for use in situations where you need to capture audio from a specific direction.
Another great feature of the DPA d:dicate 4017C is its build quality. This microphone is made from high-quality materials and construction, which means it can withstand heavy use. Additionally, the Rycote windshield included with this microphone helps to protect it from wind noise and other environmental factors.
- Clear and accurate sound quality
- Shotgun design for directional audio capture
- High-quality materials and construction
- Includes a Rycote windshield for protection against wind noise
- More pricey than other shotgun microphones on the market
Best For Rejecting Unwanted Background Noise – DPA Gooseneck Microphone – 48 inch
- d:sign 48" Gooseneck Microphone with 4011 Cardioid Capsule - Black
When it comes to gooseneck microphones, DPA is a trusted brand in the industry. The 48-inch gooseneck microphone featuring their 4011 cardioid capsule is no exception.
The length and flexibility of the gooseneck allow for easy placement and adjustment on a desk or podium. The cardioid pickup pattern captures sound directly in front of the microphone while rejecting unwanted background noise, making it ideal for conference and presentation settings.
In terms of sound quality, the 4011 capsule delivers a clear and natural audio reproduction. It handles high sound pressure levels with ease and has a low self-noise, resulting in crisp audio capture even at louder volumes.
DPA Gooseneck Microphone – 48 inch is a reliable choice for capturing clear and professional-sounding audio in various settings.
- Flexible gooseneck for easy placement
- Cardioid pickup pattern rejects background noise
- Clear and natural audio reproduction
- Handles high sound pressure levels well
- On the higher end of the price range for gooseneck microphones. (But a worthy investment for the quality and durability it offers.)
Best For Flexible And Adjustable – DPA Gooseneck Microphone – 8 inch
- d:sign 8" Gooseneck Microphone with 4011 Cardioid Capsule - Black
For those in need of a flexible yet sturdy microphone, the DPA Gooseneck Microphone – 8-inch is a fantastic option. The 8-inch gooseneck allows for maximum adjustability and positioning, making it perfect for panel discussions or multi-person interviews.
The 4011 Cardioid capsule offers clear sound capture with minimal background noise, ensuring that your audio recordings will be professional and crisp. The black matte finish gives a sleek and polished appearance, making it a great choice for on-camera use as well.
DPA Gooseneck Microphone – 8-inch is a reliable and versatile option for any audio recording needs.
- Flexible and adjustable 8-inch gooseneck
- Clear sound capture with 4011 Cardioid capsule
- Professional appearance with a black matte finish
- May be too long for some on-camera use (can consider a shorter gooseneck option)
- On the pricier side compared to other microphone options
Best For Durable Design – DPA Microphones D:dicate 4017B
- Excellent Off-Axis Rejection
- Remarkable Clarity
- Immune to RFI
- Short and Lightweight
DPA Microphones d:dicate 4017B is one of the best microphones when it comes to rejecting off-axis noise. The clarity of this mic is truly remarkable, delivering crisp and clear audio without any interference from outside sources or radio frequencies.
In terms of design, the d:dicate 4017B is compact and easy to maneuver while still being sturdy and durable. It also comes with a variety of accessories such as windscreens, pop filters, and different mounting options.
We highly recommend the DPA d:dicate 4017B for any professional audio recording needs. It may be on the pricier side, but the quality and performance more than makeup for it.
- Excellent noise rejection
- Clear and crisp audio
- Compact and durable design
- A variety of accessories included
- Maybe on the pricier side for some budgets
DPA Microphones D:dicate 4011C
- Compact Design
- Cardioid Condenser
- Total Transparency
- Detailed High-Frequency Character
- For Live Sound & Recording
DPA Microphones D:dicate 4011C is a cardioid condenser microphone. The detailed high-frequency character gives you the best possible sound quality.
In terms of design, the microphone is small yet durable for any live performance or recording situation. The cardioid polar pattern helps to isolate and capture sound from a specific direction, making it perfect for vocalists and instruments in live settings.
One of the standout features of this microphone is its total transparency. This means that the microphone will not color or alter the sound being recorded, giving you a true representation of the sound source.
DPA Microphones D:dicate 4011C is a reliable and high-quality microphone for live sound and recording.
- High-quality sound
- Durable design
- Cardioid polar pattern for isolating sound
- Transparency in recording, giving a true representation of the sound source
- Higher price point
- Might not be suitable for all recording or live performance situations (depending on the specific needs of the user)
DPA Microphones Cardioid
If you’re in the market for a high-quality cardioid microphone, the DPA Microphones Cardioid is well worth your consideration. This mic delivers incredibly clear and natural sound reproduction, making it perfect for capturing vocals or acoustic instruments.
It also features a versatile design that allows for both handheld and studio use, making it a great option for a variety of applications. And thanks to its small size, the DPA Microphones Cardioid can be easily transported and set up wherever you need it.
We highly recommend the DPA Microphones Cardioid for anyone looking for a top-notch cardioid microphone. Its excellent sound quality and versatile design make it a fantastic choice in any recording setup.
- Clear and natural sound reproduction
- Versatile design for handheld and studio use
- Small size for easy transport
- May be pricier than some other options on the market
- Limited to only cardioid pickup pattern (no option for omnidirectional or figure-8)
DPA Microphones Super Cardioid Capsule
The DPA Microphones Super Cardioid Capsule is a great microphone for anyone looking for a high-quality cardioid mic. This capsule offers superb off-axis rejection and is perfect for capturing vocals or instruments in a variety of settings.
The Super Cardioid Capsule is also incredibly sensitive, making it perfect for capturing even the most subtle nuances in sound. It also has a wide frequency response and can handle high sound pressure levels without distortion.
With its compact design, it is easy to use for both live and studio recordings. DPA Super Cardioid Capsule delivers crisp and clear sound, making it a great choice for any musician or audio engineer.
- High-quality sound
- Superb off-axis rejection
- Highly sensitive
- Wide frequency response
- Can handle high sound pressure levels without distortion
- Compact design for easy use in live and studio settings
- Price may be a factor for some budget shoppers (but the quality is worth it)
DPA Microphones Shotgun Capsule
If you’re in the market for a new shotgun mic, the DPA Shotgun Capsule is a great option. It offers a hyper-cardioid pickup pattern, which helps to isolate your sound from other noise sources.
With its modular design, you can easily switch out the capsule for different recording applications. And with its 48V phantom power, you won’t have to worry about running out of power during a long shoot.
This capsule microphone also features a durable build, making it perfect for on-the-go recording. DPA Shotgun Capsule is a reliable and versatile option for any filmmaker or sound recordist.
- Hyper-cardioid pickup pattern for isolating sound
- Modular design allows for an easy switch out of capsules
- 48V phantom power
- Durable build for on-the-go recording
- Some users may prefer a different pickup pattern (but this can be addressed by switching out the capsule)
DPA 6066-OC-R-C34 6066 CORE Omni Headset
The DPA 6066-OC-R-C34 6066 CORE Omni Headset is a great choice for anyone looking for an excellent quality headset mic. It has an Omnidirectional polar pattern, making it perfect for capturing vocals or any other sound source from all directions.
The headset is also very lightweight and comfortable to wear, even for extended periods. The mic itself is very easy to use, with a simple mounting clip that makes it quick and easy to attach to your clothing or hair.
The sound quality is also top-notch, with clear, crisp audio that is sure to deliver great results. Whether you’re using it for live performances or recording in the studio, this microphone will not disappoint.
DPA 6066-OC-R-C34 6066 CORE Omni Headset is a fantastic choice for any headset mic needs.
- Omni-directional polar pattern
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear
- Easy to attach and use
- Clear, crisp sound quality
- Maybe on the pricier side for some budgets
- Not suitable for all applications (i.e. more suited for vocals than instruments)
DPA 4188 CORE Slim Directional Flex Headset
- d:fine CORE 4188 Slim Directional Flex Headset Microphone with Mini-jack Connect (100mm
When it comes to capturing audio discreetly and unobtrusively, the DPA 4188 CORE Slim Directional Flex Headset is a top choice. This microphone features CORE by DPA technology, which enhances sound quality and reduces distortion.
Additionally, its slim design allows for it to be easily hidden under clothing for a truly professional and discreet look. The mini-jack connector makes it compatible with a variety of devices, providing versatility in use.
In terms of sound capture, the directional feature of this microphone allows it to focus on capturing sound from a specific direction, allowing for improved clarity and reduced background noise.
Whether you’re recording audio for a film or conducting an interview, the DPA 4188 CORE Slim Directional Flex Headset is a reliable and high-quality choice.
- CORE by DPA technology for enhanced sound quality and reduced distortion
- Slim design for discreet use
- Mini-jack connector for versatility in use
- Directional feature for improved clarity and reduced background noise
- May not be loud enough for more demanding recording situations
- Can be difficult to attach and adjust for comfort during extended use properly
DPA D:facto 4018VL Linear Supercardioid Condenser
For those working in live sound or broadcast, the DPA d:facto 4018VL Linear Supercardioid Condenser microphone is a great option for capturing vocals with clarity and precision. The super-cardioid pickup pattern helps to isolate the desired sound source while minimizing background noise, making it a useful tool for capturing clear dialogue in noisy environments.
The microphone also features the Wired DPA HLE (High Load Endurance) cable, which is designed to handle up to 10 times more strain than a standard XLR cable, ensuring reliable performance in high-pressure situations.
This condenser microphone also has a wide frequency response range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, allowing it to capture a broad spectrum of sound for a rich and full-bodied audio recording. DPA d:facto 4018VL Linear Supercardioid Condenser microphone is a great option for capturing vocals in live or broadcast settings.
- Supercardioid pickup pattern for isolating the desired sound source and minimizing background noise
- Wired DPA HLE cable for reliable performance in high-pressure situations
- Wide frequency response range for full-bodied audio recording
- May not be as suitable for recording instruments due to its focus on vocal capture
- More pricey than some alternatives on the market
DPA Microphones 6061-OC-U-B03
If you’re looking for a microphone that can handle high sound pressure levels, the DPA 6061-OC-U-B03 is a great choice. The black 3-pin LEMO connector gives it a sleek and professional appearance, while also providing reliable connectivity.
In terms of performance, this microphone excels in capturing loud sounds without distortion or loss of quality. We’ve used it for recording live music events and have been impressed with its ability to accurately capture the sound of instruments and vocals, even in a noisy venue.
Another great feature is the interchangeable capsule system, which allows you to change the pickup pattern to best suit your recording needs. Whether you want a focused directional microphone or a more omnidirectional sound, the 6061-OC has you covered.
We highly recommend the DPA 6061-OC-U-B03 for anyone looking for a durable and versatile microphone capable of handling loud SPLs.
- Can handle high sound pressure levels
- Interchangeable capsule system for different pickup patterns
- Sleek and professional appearance
- It may be more pricey than other options on the market. But you get what you pay for in terms of quality and durability
DPA 4060-OC-C-B34 D Screet Core
- d:screet CORE 4060 Omni Mic,
DPA 4060-OC-C-B34 d screet Core is a great microphone! We have used it in several different settings and it always sounds great. The sound quality is amazing and the polar pattern is omnidirectional, which is great for getting a full sound.
The mic has a 30 dB audio sensitivity, which makes it perfect for capturing high-quality audio. It also has an XLR connectivity, making it easy to connect to our equipment. We highly recommend this microphone for any professional recording needs.
One downside is that the item weighs 2 pounds, which can be a bit heavy if you are using it for long periods on a hand-held mic setup. It also requires an external power source, which may be a problem in certain situations.
- Amazing sound quality
- Omnidirectional polar pattern
- 30 dB audio sensitivity
- XLR connectivity
- Can be heavy for hand-held use
- Requires external power source
DPA D:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone
- Small-diaphragm Supercardioid Condenser Microphone with Clip Cable - Brass
When it comes to recording brass instruments, the DPA D:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone is a top choice. The tiny super-cardioid condenser microphone features a small diaphragm and clip cable, making it easy to position and capture clear, precise sound from brass instruments.
The microphone’s super-cardioid polar pattern effectively isolates the sound of the brass instrument while reducing background noise. Its small size also helps minimize handling noise, allowing for even more focused audio capture.
The clip cable attachment allows for easy and secure placement on a brass instrument, such as a trumpet or trombone. The microphone is also versatile enough to be used with other instruments, including acoustic guitar and violin.
DPA D:vote CORE 4099 Instrument Microphone delivers crisp, accurate sound for recording brass instruments and more. Its small size and clip cable make it a practical and convenient choice for musicians and audio engineers alike.
- The small size and clip cable make it easy to position on brass instruments
- Supercardioid polar pattern effectively isolates sound and reduces background noise
- Versatile enough to be used with other instruments
- More pricey than other instrument microphones
About DPA Microphones
DPA Microphones is a leading manufacturer of high-quality microphones and microphone solutions for professional applications. With over 50 years of experience developing microphones, DPA Microphones has become known for its innovative technology, uncompromising sound quality, and superb customer service.
DPA Microphones offers a wide range of products for any audio application, including microphones for live sound, broadcast, theater, and studio use. DPA’s product lineup includes the condenser, dynamic, ribbon, and lavalier microphones, as well as wireless microphone systems and accessories.
DPA Microphones is dedicated to providing customers with the best possible audio experience. With its focus on innovation and quality, DPA Microphones are a preferred choice for performers and audio professionals around the world.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Microphones For Vocal Recording
When it comes to choosing microphones for vocal recording, there are a few key factors you need to take into account.
Type Of Microphone
There are three main types: dynamic, condenser, and ribbon. Dynamic microphones are versatile and rugged, making them good for live use. They are also relatively affordable.
Condenser microphones are more sensitive than dynamic microphones and can capture a wider range of frequencies. They are often used in studios because they produce a clear, crisp sound.
Ribbon microphones are rarer than the other two types and are prized for their warmth and richness.
Polar Pattern Of The Microphone
The polar pattern specifies the directionality of the microphone. There are several different polar patterns to choose from, each with its strengths and weaknesses.
Omnidirectional microphones pick up sound equally from all directions, making them ideal for capturing a room sound or a group performance. Cardioid microphones pick up sound mostly from the front of the microphone, making them good for isolating vocals or instruments.
Bidirectional microphones pick up sound equally from the front and back of the mic, making them good for stereo recording or for capturing two singers facing each other. Shotgun mics have a very tight polar pattern and are ideal for picking up sound from a specific source, like an interviewee across a room.
Microphones can range in price from a few dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. It is important to set a budget before shopping for microphones to stay within your price range.
You need to think about how you’ll be using the microphone. If you’re only going to be using it for home recordings, then you don’t need to buy a high-end microphone. However, if you plan on using it in a professional setting, then you’ll need to invest in a quality mic.
Before purchasing a microphone, it’s important to make sure it is compatible with your recording equipment. Make sure that the microphone has the appropriate input and that your recording device can handle its level output.
If you plan on using the microphone for live performances or recording on the go, consider opting for a smaller, more portable option. The large size and delicate nature of some studio microphones make them less suitable for travel.
Once you have considered these factors, you can begin shopping for the right microphone for your needs. There are many great options available, so take your time and find the one that best suits your needs.
What Is The Difference Between Omnidirectional And Cardioid Microphones?
There are several key differences between omnidirectional and cardioid microphones.
The most obvious difference is that omnidirectional microphones pick up sound from all directions, while cardioid microphones pick up sound mainly from the front. This means that cardioid microphones are better for eliminating background noise and focusing on the main source of the sound.
Omnidirectional microphones also tend to be more sensitive than cardioid microphones and can pick up more ambient noise. Cardioid microphones typically produce a warmer sound than omnidirectional mics.
How Do I Know Which Microphone Is Best For My Application?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best microphone for a particular application will vary depending on the individual’s needs. However, there are a few factors to consider when selecting a microphone, such as the type of sound you want to capture, the environment in which you will be using the microphone, and your budget.
If you’re looking for a general-purpose microphone that can be used for a variety of applications, a condenser microphone is generally a good option. Condenser microphones are sensitive to sound and can capture high-quality audio recordings in many different settings. They also typically have a wider frequency range than dynamic microphones, making them better suited for capturing vocals or instruments with intricate details.
However, if you need a microphone that can withstand harsh weather conditions or extreme noise levels, then you may want to consider using a dynamic microphone instead. Dynamic microphones are more durable and less likely to distort or malfunction in difficult environments. Additionally, they often cost less than condenser microphones.
Ultimately, the best way to determine which microphone is right for your application is to experiment with different models and types until you find one that meets your specific needs.
Why Are DPA Microphones So Pricey?
There are a few reasons that DPA microphones are so pricey. The foremost reason is that they are some of the best microphones in the world. They offer unparalleled clarity and detail, and their construction is incredibly robust.
DPA microphones are often used in high-end recording studios and by professional musicians, which drives up the price. Because they are such high-quality instruments, they require more maintenance and care than other microphones, which also adds to the cost.
Ultimately, though, the price is worth it for those who want the absolute best sound possible.
Are There Any Lower Cost Alternatives To DPA Microphones?
Yes, there are several lower-cost alternatives to DPA Microphones. Sennheiser microphones are a great option for those on a budget, and Audio-Technica microphones offer quality sound at an affordable price.
Additionally, Shure microphones are known for their durability and fidelity. Whichever brand you choose, be sure to do your research to find the best option for your specific needs.
Can I Use DPA Microphones For Live Performances?
Yes, you can use DPA Microphones for live performances, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
- You’ll need to make sure the microphones are properly protected from feedback and other noise sources.
- You’ll need to make sure your microphone technique is up to par, as poor technique can cause audio problems even with the best microphones.
- Always take care of your microphones and make sure they’re properly stored and transported; this will help them last longer.
DPA microphones are some of the best in the business for capturing vocals. If you’re looking for a microphone that will give your recordings clarity and detail, then a DPA mic is the way to go.
In this article, we’ve listed 15 of the best DPA mics for recording vocals. We’ve also included buyer’s guides and reviews so that you can find the perfect DPA mic for your needs. So what are you waiting for? Start shopping today!
DPA’s KIT-4099-DC-10C-C is our best pick for its clear sound quality, durability, and comfortable design. This kit is perfect for singers and musicians who need a high-quality microphone that can handle long performances without becoming uncomfortable. The included carrying case also makes it easy to transport the mic between venues.